Because I love everything heart-shaped and because I am having so much fun decorating for Valentine's....
from now until February 14th I will be sharing 14 days of love-themed crafting. Not consecutive days but rather little bits of Valentine's inspiration from now until heart day. :)
For years I've been using these two boxes as part of my Valentine's decor but using them "as is". Why it took me until now to realize that I could alter them to suit my tastes and decorating style, we'll never know! ha!
Both of these boxes were packaging for some melamine plates from Pottery Barn Kids and ceramaic heart shaped bowls from Pottery Barn that I've had for years and years.
The white box was looking a little messy. It showed signs of marks from bumping up next to things and it orignally had red ribbons coming out the eyelets on each side. I removed the ribbons and then took my box outside and using a can of spray paint [ Krylon Whisper White ] that I had on hand, I gave my box a new coat of paint.
Once dry, I glued the Stampin' Up ruffled trim [ from the SU 2012 Spring Catalog ] around the edge of the box lid and replaced the original red ribbon with this cute pink & white chevron ribbon from a past Studio Calico kit.
To create the dangling apothecary label tag, I first die cut the label from Neenah White Cardstock using the exclusive die by Simon Says Stamp and punched a hole in the top. Then I stamped the coordinating "forever friend" stamp using Versamark Ink and embossed the design with Platinum WOW embossing powder. Because I loved the sentiment and design of the stamp but not necessarily the word "friend" for this particular project, I stampd the cute arrow with hearts image [ also from an exclusive Simon Says Stamp set ] with Versamark Ink and embossed it with Cable Car Red WOW embossing powder. I cut it into a strip, notched the ends and glued it right over the word friend! I love how no one but me [ and now you guys!!! ] know that this isn't the way it looked originally!
I also staped the "Happy Valentine's Day border [ from another exclusive Simon Says Stamp set ] and cut apart the greetings before placing a couple in the Tim Holtz glass vial. I replaced the cork lid, tied some silk ribbon around the vial and "hung" it from the bow by sticking a trinket pin in the top after going through the center of the bow. Super easy and a fun addition to any project. I'm a bit addicted to these little vial bottles!
I stamped and embossed the Simon Says Stamp heart image on the coordinating die cut paper and tucked the heart into the trinket pin. I added an additional trinket pin and a paper floral to finish the box.
The red box was still in good shape so I didn't have to prep the box before embellishing. This box was inspired by the wide burlap ribbon I've had in my stash for awhile and the new narrower burlap-like ribbon I just received from Stampin' Up. I love the look of all the naturals/cream with red!
I die cut the banners using my favorite banner die set from My Favorite Things and then I added some stamping and stamping & embossing using exclusive Simon Says Stamp stamp sets.
To create the layered ribbow bow, I simply folded my ribbons making loops and layed them in a stack using my Tim Holtz scissors to keep them in place while adding the next ribbon. Then I took a piece of string [ when the ribbons aren't as think I use a stapler, it's easier! ] and tied it around the middle, drawing all the ribbons up into a bow. Then I knotted the string and hot glued the ribbon bow to my box. Before the glue sets up, I quickly tucked the banners under the bow, into the hot glue to hold them in place.
The white floral is one I've been hoarding for a couple years that was part of an old Making Memories collection. To dress it up a bit I sewed a Tim Holtz button to the center, then hot glued the floral to the center of the bow.
I hot glued a couple of Studio Calico wood veneer feathers under the floral and tucked some decorative trinket pins into the center while the glue was still hot.
I glued a bit of cream velvet ric rac trim around the box lid to finish it up.
- Studio Calico Wood Veneer Feathers
- Heart Shaped Boxes (recycled packaging from Pottery Barn melamine plates and ceramic bowls from years ago)
- Heidi Grace Heart Trinket Pin
- May Arts 1/4" White Silk Ribbon
- Chevron Ribbon (Studio Calico kit)
- Krylon Soft White Spray Paint
- Making Memories Cream Velor Ric Rac Ribbon
- Stampin' Up Artisan Embellishment Kit (pink floral)
- Making Memories White Fabric Floral
- Stampin' Up 7/16 Natural Trim Ribbon
- Stampin' Up Crumb Cake Ink
- Stampin' Up Very Vanilla Seam Binding Ribbon
Want to see more Valentine's/Love-themed paper crafted inspiration? Here are a some of my favorite projects from the last few years...
Check out these past blog posts:
- Embellished Tags featuring Ali Edwards Studio AE stamps (light pinks/creams/neutrals)
- Valentine's Decor Tags featuring Kerri Bradford Die Cuts
- Heart/Love themed Layout 2009 (scroll down a bit to see)
- Hedgehog Stamped & Copic Colored Valentine treat bags
- Valentine's School Party layout
- Stamped & colored Monster Valentine's Treat Bag Toppers
- February 2011 Bring on the Love Layout + How To Video
- Just For You Silhouette Die Cut Card & Gemstone embellished Tee
- Valentine's Day 2012 Layout + Project Life Love-Themed Stamped Journaling Cards
- Heart Themed Cards featuring Hero Arts 2013 Stamps
- Heart Themed Card featuring Ali Edwards Studio AE Stamps
- My Everything Stamped Card
- Feb 14 Layout featuring Kerri Bradford Die Cuts (pretty much one of my favorite layouts...like ever.)
- Seriously Sweet Layout + How To Video (not really Valentine's but the color theme/style would work for Valentine's)
- Family Is Precious Layout + Video (not a Valentine's layout and not Valentine's traditional colors but the design definitely fits!)
Hope everyone is having a great Monday!