For this week's From Start to Finish layout I wanted to focus on a journaling/stamping technique that I am particularly obsessed with at the moment.
I love creating a big impact with my journaling by substituting certain words in computer generated (or handwritten) journaling with stamped words and/or phrases. Ali Edwards' stamps are practically perfect for this technique because her stamp sets are word/phrase focused and most have lots of similarly themed words within each set.
For today's layout, I chose two stamp sets that are both travel/vacation themed to give me plenty of options for my journaling.
The easiest way I have found to substitute computer generated words with stamped words is this:
- Sit down with your stamp sets you will be using and write out your journaling on a scratch piece of paper, referencing your stamps and trying to implement as many as you can with your own journaling.
- Type out journaling in word processing software (be sure to set margins, etc. to fit your paper before starting). Measure each word you are substituting and leave the appropriate amount of space for the stamp(s).
- Print journaling on printer paper and carefully lay out clear stamps within journaling to make sure they each fit. Make adjustments if necessary.
- Temporarily adhere paper over regular printer paper (hold up to light source to position exactly) and run through printer to add journaling.
- Stamp each word within computer generated journaling and adhere to your project!
*see video below for specific how-to*
I love how the pops of color instantly make the journaling more interesting.
With a big title, a focus on the journaling/stamping and lots of photos I wanted to make sure and add interest and support the theme/design of the page with a few embellishments. I added gems to the eyes on this crab sticker to dress him up a bit.
A colorful button clip, rustic button and a bright die cut instantly add color in the top left corner of the page.
Finishing out the visual triangle on the page is a cluster of stickers and buttons. The visual triangle (crab/button, clip/button/die cut and finally stickers/buttons) helps balance out the layout.
Last, but not least, I used an anywhere hole punch to customize the paper border along the bottom of the page. I backed the punched holes with a scrap of coordinating paper and added a few gems to finish it up.
SUPPLIES (click on photos for links):
To view this layout at 2Peas, click HERE.
To view the entire From Start to Finish Series at 2Peas, click HERE.
To see more layouts using this journaling/stamping technique:
- San Francisco (using The Observant Traveler Studio AE June Stamp Set)
- Celebrate U. (using Lawn Fawn Plus One Stamp Set)
Have a good one!