Welcome to "The Daily Marker 30 Day Coloring Challenge" Blog Hop.
Kathy Racoosin from The Daily Marker loves to color and she is hosting her fourth 30 DAY COLORING CHALLENGE. The premise of the challenge is to color something everyday even if it’s for five minutes. It doesn’t matter what you color or what you are coloring with. Today Kathy has assembled a blog hop to give your creativity a jump start with some very talented ladies.
If you're coming from Laura Bassen's blog, DOUBLE STICK HEAVEN, then you are in the right place.
I've been getting quite a few requests lately to show coloring mediums other than Copic Markers so today I broke out my trusted Distress Markers, a paintbrush, and a bit of water to color in this gorgeous bird image from the wplus9 A New Day Stamp Set. I love the opportunity to push myself to try something different or to work on a coloring technique with Kathy's coloring challenge! In fact, this is probably my favorite "watercolored" image I've ever done! I am by no means an expert watercolorer but have found with practice, practice, and yes, more practice, I am loving this results of Distress Marker watercoloring more and more.
To create my card I stamped the bird image from the wplus9 A New Day Stamp Set on watercolor paper using the new Simon Says Stamp Intense Black Dye Ink. This incredible new ink can be used with alcohol and solvent based markers, plus it's fast drying and waterproof so it works great for watercoloring too!
I used the brush tip of the Tim Holtz Pumice Stone, Black Soot, Gathered Twigs, Spiced Marmalade, and Mustard Seed Distress Markers by laying the ink down on an acrylic block. Then I took a damp paintbrush and started applying the colors to the bird image, making sure to completely dry the image between each color application so the paper wouldn't pill up. I gradually built up the color to get the depth and dimension I was looking for for this sweet birdie.
I used the same technique to color in the branch of the image with the Gathered Twigs Distress Marker.
Once the ink was completely dry, I applied water around the image with a larger paintbrush and then added Weathered Wood Distress Ink to give the background a touch of color.
I applied Stick It to the front and back of a piece of Fun Foam and die cut the Fun Foam with the Pretty Pink Posh Scallop Frame Dies. I die cut the largest frame again from Simon Says Stamp Chocolate Cardstock. I removed the backing paper from one side of the foam frame and adhered the brown cardstock and removed the backing paper from the other side and adhered the frame over the watercolored panel.
I trimmed down a Simon Says Stamp Side Fold Notecard slightly on the short end and secured the framed piece to the card front to finish the design.
V I D E O T U T O R I A L
To watch the creation of this watercolored bird card from start to finish, click HERE or watch below:
S U P P L I E S
The letters below the thumbnails below link to stores where you can purchase the products shown in this post and video: SSS = to purchase from Simon Says Stamp, EH = to purchase from Ellen Hutson, SB.COM = to purchase from Scrapbook.com. Affiliate links used.
K E E P H O P P I N G
The next stop on the hop is the incredible Lydia Fiedler's blog, UNDERSTAND BLUE !
( At the end of the hop you will find an awesome GIVEAWAY AND A COUPON CODE FOR Online Card Classes. )
M O R E A B O U T T H E C O L O R I N G C H A L L E N G E
- Kathy from The Daily Marker is hosting her fourth coloring challenge called, “The Daily Marker 30 Day” it’s a super fun challenge and a great way to get full use of your supplies.
- (When sharing use #TheDailyMarker30Day so Kathy can find your work)
- THE GOAL IS: To color something daily even if it's a few minutes but, certainly not required. It’s been proven that coloring can lower your blood pressure so it’s worth carving out a little time for yourself each day. You will find that Kathy encourages you along the way to stretch your creativity a little bit more and to feel successful with your coloring.
- CAN YOU PARTICIPATE in the 30 DAY CHALLENGE? Yes! that would be awesome if you want to participate & feel free to jump in at any time during February! Everyone is welcome! If you miss a few days don’t feel like you have to catch up. The challenge is meant to be fun and with no stress.
- WHAT'S NEW THIS TIME? Kathy will have a weekly feature that she will be sharing on her blog that showcases some of your work every Sunday.
Read more on Kathy’s blog, "The Daily Marker” to see how to share you work and if you have questions, how to share, giveaways etc. Prepare to be inspired with daily posts and many videos for 30 days.